Preparing for your first interview? Nervous about how to act, what to say, and whether or not you’ll land the position? Check out these tips for interviewing beginners:
- Turn your cell phone off. Check and double check that it is off or leave it in the car.
- Make eye contact and smile. People like people who are happy.
- Be prepared to summarize your background and experience. Don’t get stumped by the question, “Tell me about yourself.”
- Know the company and why you want to work there. Arm yourself with knowledge about the position, the company and the industry.
- Be able to talk about something you are proud of – have one or two accomplishments in your hip pocket.
- Have some goals for the future that you can talk about. Be able to articulate where you want to be in 5 years (if you have no idea then give it some thought before the interview – where DO you want to be in 5 years?).
- Sell yourself – no one else can do it as effectively as you can. Why are you a good fit for this job?